Colorado State Law: A person commits cruelty to animals if he knowingly or with criminal negligence overdrives, overloads, tortures, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beats, needlessly mutilates, needlessly kills, carries in or upon any vehicles in a cruel or reckless manner, or otherwise mistreats or neglects any animal, or causes or procures it to be done, or having the charge and custody of any animal, fails to provide it with proper food, drink, protection from the weather, or abandons it. (CRS 1973, 18-9-202)

Neglected Horse

To Report Animal Cruelty: Many times it takes several calls to Animal Control or the Sheriff’s Dept. to get a response. Remember, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” – call back if the authorities have not checked on the horse or horses that you are concerned about. Remember to be polite, ask for a case number when appropriate and ask to receive a call back after the welfare check is completed. Also report the incident to the Bureau of Animal Protection at 303-239-4163.

State Vet’s Office: 303-239-4166

Bureau of Animal Protection: 303-239-4163

Crime Stoppers Animal Abuse Program: For anonymous reporting call 720-913-STOP (7867).

Colorado Humane Society: 1-800-249-5121 or

CHS services the following counties:

Alamosa                        Fremont                        Morgan
Bent                                Grand                             Otero
Chaffee                          Gunnison                      Phillips
Clear Creek                   Huerfano                      Prowers
Conejos                          Jackson                          Rio Grande
Costilla                          Kiowa                              Routt
Crowley                         Kit Carson                     Saguache
Custer                            Lake                                Sedgwick
Elbert                             Las Animas                   Summit
Lincoln                           Washington
Mineral                           Weld

Adams County: Adams County Animal Control – 303-288-3294, 303-288-1535
City of Thornton – 720-977-5250, 720-977-5257, 720-977-5253

Adams/Jefferson Counties: Arvada Animal Control – 720-898-6850

Arapahoe County Animal Control: 720-874-6750

Arvada Animal Management: 720-898-6850

Aurora Animal Control: 303-361-0890, 303-326-8280, 720-939-3581

Bennett Animal Control: 303-644-3249

Boulder County Animal Control: Dispatch – 303-441-4444
Boulder County Sheriff’s Office: 303-441-3650
Humane Society of Boulder Valley: 303-442-4030, ext. 677
Longmont Police Dept.: 303-651-8555

Brighton City Animal Control: 303-655-2300

Broomfield City & County Animal Control: 303-438-6400

Castle Rock Animal Control: 303-663-6100

Centennial City Animal Control: 720-874-6750

Clear Creek County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Commerce City Animal Control: 303-288-1535

Cripple Creek Police Dept.: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Delta County: Delta Animal Control: 970-874-7676

Denver City & County Animal Control: 303-698-0800

Denver Dumb Friends League: 303-923-0022

Denver Municipal Shelter: 303-698-0076

Douglas County Animal Control: 303-841-2332 (Parker)
Denver Dumb Friends League – 303-923-0022
Humane Soc. Pikes Peak Region – 303-660-7529

Eagle County Animal Control: Eagle Humane Society: 970-328-7387

Edgewater Animal Control: 303-549-5104

Elbert County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Jefferson/Douglas: Denver Dumb Friend’s League, 303-923-002

El Paso/Douglas/Pueblo Counties:
Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region:
Castle Rock – 303-660-7529, 303-333-4282
Colorado Springs – 719-473-1741
El Paso County Sheriff’s Office – 719-390-5555
Calhan Police Dept. – 719-347-2586 (El Paso County)

Englewood City Animal Control: 303-762-2438

Fremont County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121,

Gilpin County Sheriff: 303-572-0750

Golden Animal Control: 303-384-8045

Grand County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Jefferson County: Jefferson County Animal Control – dispatch – 303-277-0211
303-271-5070 (Golden)
Lakewood Animal Control – 303-987-7173 (Lakewood)
Wheatridge Police Dept. – 303-235-2926, 303-235-2841
Arvada Animal Control – 720-898-6850

LaPlata County: LaPlata County Animal Control – 970-259-2847 (Durango)

Lakewood City Animal Control: 303-987-7173

Larimer County: Larimer Humane Society – 970-530-2954

Littleton Animal Control: 303-794-1551

Longmont Police Dept.: 303-651-8555

Mesa County: Fruita Police Dept. – 970-858-3008
Mesa County Animal Services – 970-242-4646 (Grand Junction)

Park County: Intermountain Humane Society (Conifer) – 303-838-2668
Park County Sheriff – 719-836-2494, 719-836-4121

Parker Animal Control: 303.841.9800

Pitkin County: Pitkin County Sheriff – 970-920-5310, 970-948-6373

Pueblo County: Pueblo Animal Services – 719-544-3005

Rio Grande County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Routt County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Summit County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Superior Town Animal Control: 303-441-4444

Teller County: Teller County Sheriff – 719-687-9652 (Divide)
Cripple Creek Police Dept. – 719-689-2655

Thornton City Animal Control: 720-977-5250, 720-977-5257, 720-977-5253

Weld County: Contact Colorado Humane Society – 800-249-5121

Westminster City Animal Control: 303-430-2400

Wheatridge Animal Control: 303-237-2220